Saturday, September 27, 2014

Drugs

I feel the need to trace my drug history. 

To make things clear, severe depression and dissociation, perhaps even ptsd, have existed since early childhood.

I started drinking and using marijuana around '83 in an effort to self-medicate. 

Between '85 and '92 I tried all sorts of drugs, including meth (a lot) and acid (a few times).

Around '92 I moved into a more manageable alcoholism, with the addition of an SSRI.

With increased alcohol consumption, I really broke psychologically and was, I think, periodically psychotic to the point of stopping the alcohol use in 2001. Then came an increased dose of SSRI and off and on Risperdahl.

From about 2006, maybe, I experienced possible syptoms of narcolepsy. Extreme sleepiness.....as well as trying a drug typically used for bi polar and epilepsy....depakote. I also started another anti-psychotic whose name escapes me. I took them for 6 months and then stopped as I felt psychologically and physically TERRIBLE.

From 2007 or so until 2010 or so, I was off and on with seroquel, abilify, ambien and an SSRI. I started Nuvigil for the sleepiness. In 2012 or so I started Xyrem. Since 2012 I consistently take seroquel, ambien, Nuvigil, abilify, and Xyrem. 

The psychological problems are definitely persistent from childhood and are not caused by drug use. I have developed a host of coping skills for these problems. I question how much my use of street drugs and prescribed medication interfere presently with my ability to cope with my psychological problems. In essence, do the the drugs I take now keep me sick or help me cope? Have I permanently damaged my neurological functioning with street drugs and prescribed medication? Does it matter at my age? 

No comments:

Post a Comment