Sunday, November 21, 2010

Angry

I don't usually write poetry, but I've tried a few times. I really wanted to be in a poetry slam once, and I wrote this one because it sounded angry enough to be in a slam, and was kind of a slam against the slam. I never read it because I was too afraid.

I could write poetry like you-
All pissed off at white man’s
Oppressive culture eating my freedom
Like maggots in a wound.
And the atrocity of war – Big Business
Christian Nation claiming oil under
The sands of heathens.
And the gross injustice of rich men
And women, visible over the layers
Of poverty and disease in Africa,
New York, Superior Street.
But instead, I write angry poems
About me.
Pissed at me for getting raped,
Being a drug addict.
Wasting years and brain cells.
Pissed at identity confusion –
Maybe I’m gay and that’s why
I hate myself so much.
I could write like you,
Throw in a “Fuck” or two.
But I’m busy
Being pissed at how
I’m too afraid to Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment