Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Where the Wild Things Are
Just can't get enough of that movie. I imagine everyone identifies with the little Max, and at some level connects with the way Max talks to the Wild Things. But I love the movie because it's so like my inner life - I really really DO have others inside that I talk to and that fight with each other and with me and form alliances. At the end of the movie, right when he says "I wish you guys had a mom" and then announces he is leaving them, I break down and sob. I sob with great heaving sobs that crush my chest. I don't understand why I have that reaction. Anyone with any insight - please share!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have not seen this movie but I totally understand your connection!! I connect the same way but through the movie Toy Story. I blogged about it a couple of months ago here: http://thebeehive27.blogspot.com/2010/06/toy-story.html. Hope this helps!
ReplyDelete-Bee
Hi Bee. Thanks for reading.
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteI loved the movie too. To me, Carol was my anger - I wrote about what I got out of the movie here.
It seems a few survivors saw different things in the movie... I didn't pick-up on the bit about the things having a mother, but I have so much anger towards my mother, so it may have influenced that? It makes sense that you'd be affected though... mothers are meant to be caring, nurturing and easing the world so that you can navigate it while managing your emotions. Also, if Max had had a mother he could really talk to and identify with, the things wouldn't be there - because they are manifestations of his own anger.
Really interesting... I got the DVD the other day, and I'm planning to watch it again over the weekend.
Take care,
CG
I think I'll watch it again today - what a great movie...Did you watch it?
ReplyDelete